Friday, February 11, 2011

I was doing so good...

Until this happened:
I know this board doesn't look like it took that much time, but it did. It really did. I have to take this board to a local elementary school where I tutor a first grader, a little boy named Kalil, in reading for one of my classes. This is how the board looks when I get there.

 And this is what it looks like when we finish our lesson.
After each component of our lesson he makes one of the chipmunks "jump" and then at the end, he moves the skill that we worked on from the "what we are learning" side to the "what we have learned" side. PS. He loves Alvin and the Chipmunk. I didn't just randomly choose the chipmunk theme haha.

I really was doing really good with my blogging until I had to devote so much time (not to mention money) to that board. I also had a really intense lesson plan due the same day I had to have Kalil's board finished so I was up until 2 am finishing those things and had to be up at 6. I was extremely tired.

This morning when I was reading my Bible, this verse really jumped out at me. Well, really just one part, and I thought I'd share. 

"But we know there is only one God, the Father, who created everything, and we exist for him. And there is only one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom God made everything and through whom we have been given." 1 Corinthians 8:6

"And we exist for him." I think I tend to forget this. Actually, I don't think I do. I do. I seem to think I exist on this earth to go to class, clean, hang out with friends, eat, do homework, and all of the other things I do daily. And none of these things are bad by any means, but this is not what I exist for. I exist for God. I think I really needed a reminder of that today and God really spoke to me through that one little sentence. Amazing. I just wanted to share that little tidbit.

In other news, I have discovered this song:


I don't know why, but I can't get enough of it.

That's about all that's been going on with me this week. Tonight Allison and I are baking Valentine's goodies, which should be fun. Maybe if I get really ambitious I'll even post a picture.

Happy Friday, everyone!

-Rachel

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it "Tongue"? Cute board anywho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, actually. I realized this a couple of days ago when I was writing the lesson plan and "tounge" from tongue twisters kept getting the red line under it. I was so embarrassed, but then I ended up having to take it off anyways because our teacher told us she didn't want the kids to look at the tongue twisters, she just wanted them to hear them. So now, it says, "What We Are Reading" and the book goes in the pocket. Luckily, Kalil did not know how to spell "tongue", and apparently no one else did either because I showed the board to numerous people haha.

    ReplyDelete