Saturday, March 26, 2011

MEX '11


Well, I've finally gotten around to blogging about Spring Break! This first week back has been even crazier than usual, with some rather shocking news that I will share at a later date. Everything is fine though, I just want to focus on Mex in this post!

Mex was amazing, as it has been the past 2 Spring Breaks. It's always just such a humbling experience, to see these people who have nothing, but who are so giving and so thankful for what they do have. I think what one of the men we were building for said pretty much sums it up. He and his wife (who are both about 18 years old and have 2 kids) were SO excited and beyond grateful as their furniture for their new casita was being delivered. He was almost in tears as he looked at us and said, "You don't understand. We have nothing. The only thing that is completely ours is our children."

And now, I'll let the pictures do the talking (kind of)


Our whole team in front of La Familia (where we stay)

CT and I laying some bricks

My team built a bakery and the baker would bake us treats every day. It was awesome.

And what would a trip to the Soriana be without seeing our favorite ice cream man, Luis!?

Lucas, the baker, we built for

VBS

About to mix some stucco, my favorite part of building!

This little boy, Juan, completely stole my heart

My parent's Mardi Gras beads made it all the way to Mexico!

All the Mexers in front of La Familia

Cousins forever

I loved this little girl who lived across the street from the baker. Clearly, the feeling was mutual haha.

Love this picture of the neighborhood kids playing with a balloon

CT and I with our maestro, Simon! He would always come up to me and say, "Too much blah, blah blah! Not enough work!" He started this on the first day which Philip would hilarious. 


So that is my trip in a nutshell. If you just can't get enough, I've got more pictures on Facebook! Haha.

Have a lovely weekend!

-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment